ARC 331 Forum 01: Technological Determinism
After completing Part 1 of Lesson 01, choose one of the prompts below. Write a short (150 words or fewer) post in which you provide two brief interpretations of the historical event based on each of the interpretive criteria introduced in Dr. Hilbert’s video (technological determinism and social constructivism). Title your post with the single word in all caps that corresponds with the prompt you have chosen.
- PAGODA: The development of the pagoda in China (based on the Indian stupa precedent) (ARC 231)
- BUTTRESS: The appearance of flying buttresses in France (ARC 231)
- DOME: Brunelleschi’s design of the dome for Florence Cathedral (ARC 232)
- MORRIS: John Ruskin’s writing of The Seven Lamps of Architecture (ARC 232)
- by Monday (1 PM): post your response
- by Wednesday (1 PM): return to this page and review your peers’ responses; select two of them (one who posted on your topic and one on a different prompt). What can you add or suggest to help clarify or challenge their thinking on this issue?